Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Well I am really into finding good recipes, making menus, baking and cooking lately.  We have even gotten my kids into eating healthy.  They are not asking for sweets but fruit.  They had cupcakes for Tessa's birthday and after eating two Tessa said she never wanted sugar again.  When we were at a scouts pack meeting tonight Adalynn asked if the brownies they were serving were healthy brownies and I told her no, but you can have some.  It's ok.  She said no yuck. 
We have tried to teach them that sugar and processed food is not good for you and it's amazing how much they keep us in line.  If I even try to go out they'll say but is it healthy?  And if it's not I feel like I have to explain myself.  It's better just to eat healthy.  We are feeling so much better not only physically but emotionally- no guilt about what we are putting in our bodies or giving to our kids. 
There are so many "diets" out there.  It can be confusing- what is good and what isn't?  We have done no carbs (Atkins), Weight Watchers, P90X which was a lot of meat, dairy, one healthy carb a day and plenty of fruits and vegetables- that was a good one, but recently we have decided to be even more health conscious and for our whole family get rid of anything processed.  No white flour, no white sugar, low fat, healthy diet- oh and no dairy.  Might be a shocker but when we got rid of dairy my headaches went away and it's really not good for you.  We have considered going vegan or gluten free and we have some days that are gluten free or vegan but I would consider how we eat more of a clean eating lifestyle.  Pretty much everything we eat is from scratch.  Since we started eating healthier I don't feel bloated, gassy, stomach pains, headaches or guilt.  Why was I doing that to myself?  And everything we make tastes good!  I like it.  My family likes it.  I am getting what my body is truly craving.  You want sweets?  How about some watermelon for dessert?  Mmmm!  Delicious.  You want a warm hearty meal?  How about some chili or vegetable soup, not McDonalds or Pizza.  That’s not what your body really wants.  Those addictions are so powerful sometimes I think they mask the real cravings.  Get the addictions out of the way and you’ll start craving real food I promise. 
There are delicious, healthy meals to make that taste just as good and have just as much flavor as the unhealthy meals that most consider "normal"- you just have to know how to cook.  If society could change the new normal and have a healthy lifestyle (not a diet to lose X amount of weight and then go back to eating junk and gain it back) the medical bills would go down, and with good health comes happiness. On the movie Forks over Knives (Forks=food, Knives=scalpel, food over medicine) that we watched recently an ex-heart surgeon said that he used to like the idea of doing a heart surgery and saving people but then he wanted to go to the real heart of the issue and stop the problems before it got to that point.  He said some people might think a plant based diet extreme but isn't someone cutting you open in an evasive surgery (heart surgery) more extreme? 
So my point being there are many ideas of what is good and what isn't good for you.  I referenced Forks Over Knives which strongly recommends a plant-based or vegan lifestyle.  We took the movie with a grain of salt (there are some inaccuracies like the fact that Norwegians did eat fish after the Nazi's came).  We have some vegan days but we have decided that it is ok to eat lean meats: fish, chicken, turkey burger and that we should eat meat sparingly as the word of wisdom says.  I think that if you want to stay away from gluten or dairy or meat or whatever that is great.  You do what you think you should do and what makes you feel best.  This is what we are doing. 
So that being said (I know I talk- or type- too much) I wanted to type up some meal and recipe ideas.  I usually make my menu one week at a time but I have made a whole month and thought I would post it.  I also am making a big recipe book that I am typing up in word which I could email you if you'd like it.  It's a compilation of all the recipes I have found lately from a variety of places.  I wanted one cookbook so I thought I'd type up my favorites, print it out and put it in a three ring binder with the pages in the plastic sheet covering (works great if there are splashes or spills).  So if you'd like to you are welcome to take my idea and print some recipes out and make your own book. I kind of like having a hard copy rather than using my phone all the time (pinterest and iBooks).

By the way I mentioned I’m feeling better but I didn’t mention the weight- 25 lbs down!  Yay!  I still have to lose some more but I’m not feeling so fat.  J


*Sandwiches:  we are making homemade bread and are avoiding processed lunch meat so sandwhiches are usually homemade bread with PB and honey or PB and banana.  We have used the rest of our jelly and we are looking for a good jam or jelly with low sugar.  I am thinking about making my own strawberry jam for PB &J.
**Cereal:  Homemade granola or Cheerios with raisins and Almond Milk
***sauce is basically chicken broth and cauliflower, use either whole wheat noodles or brown rice noodles.  Can have with or without chicken but we brown the chicken and then simmer with the sauce and a bunch of broccoli.  It is great.
**** made with brown rice and stir-fry veggies.  We do have a vegetable or combination of vegetables with every lunch and dinner.  I didn’t list it on a lot of them b/c there isn’t room on the calendar but we like California blend veggies with Meatloaf, corn with tacos, asparagus with fish, etc.  Obviously the soups have tons of vegetables in them.
My kids have their favorite meals: Meatloaf, Chicken Alfredo, Apricot Glazed Chicken… the ones that are repeated are ones we really love.  Surprisingly my daughter Adalynn who used to be picky loves black bean soup (chili) and they also love our homemade chili mac (Billy makes a great sauce).
We do still have two meals going on sometimes.  Usually when I offer fruit shakes I will have one or two that barely drink them.  So I have been giving them two choices usually fruit shakes or cereal.  Most mornings Billy and I have a fruit shake even when they have muffins.  So there are usually two breakfast choices.  And there are many times when it says sandwiches that Billy and I will have a salad- so I give them a choice those days for lunch or sometimes it’s a soup or salad lunch (or both).  Other than that we all eat together.  I think with so many new foods to try and some of them (shakes or salads) are not that filling for young kids with lots of energy that it’s okay to offer something else with it or a choice.  Dinner is always one thing- we all eat it.  And they don’t always like everything but they have become a lot less picky and are trying more things without hesitating now.  If the only thing to eat is something healthy they will eat it and as you can see there is plenty of variety.  They actually really like pretty much all the foods.
Snacks are usually fruit (so many good fruits right now!  My kids love grapes, watermelon, apples, bananas, peaches, etc.) granola, my sticky bar (homemade granola bar), celery and PB with raisins, or cheerios and raisins.

Here are some of our favorite recipes.  The Karma Chow Ultimate Cookbook is great!
Apricot Tea Muffins                                                 The Karma Chow
1 ½ c. Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Flour                                                                                                     1/3 c. coconut oil, melted                                                                                                                              1 ½ tea. Baking powder                                                            
½ c. apricot spread, fruit only                                                                                     
1 tea. Baking soda                                                                              
1/3 c. agave nectar                                                                           
1 tea. Xanthan gum                                                                
½ c. almond milk                                                     
½ tea. Sea salt                                                                                    
2 tea. Vanilla extract                          
2 flaxseed eggs                                                                
½ c. chopped, dried apricots (opt)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease muffin tin with coconut oil.  In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
In another bowl whisk together the coconut oil, apricot spread, agave nectar, almond milk, vanilla, and egg replacer.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry and beat with a wooden spoon or use a hand-mixer.  When the batter is smooth and slightly sticky, add in the chopped apricots and stir to combine.  Place the batter into the muffin cups about two-thirds full.  Bake in the center of the oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until firm.  Place the muffin pan on a rack to cool slightly.  Remove the muffins when slightly cooled and continue cooling on a wire rack to avoid sogginess.  Store in an airtight container for up to three days.

Karmic Cherry Almond Granola                        The Karma Chow
3 cups rolled oats,                                                      
½ tea. Sea salt                                                               
 1 c. oat flour or spelt flour                                         
½ tea. cinnamon                                                                                    
1 c. chopped almonds, walnuts or other nut                 
½ tea. cardamom                                                                           
½ c. chopped dried cherries or raisins                      
¾ c. coconut oil, melted or grapeseed                                                                 
½ c. hemp seeds or flaxseed                                     
1 tea. Vanilla or almond extract                                 
¾ c. maple syrup or agave

Preheat oven to 350.  Combine the oats, flour, almonds, cherries, hemp seeds, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom in a large mixing bowl and mix well.  In a separate small bowl, whisk the coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla until well combined.  Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir well to combine.  Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread it out evenly.  Bake until it’s golden brown, approximately 30 minutes.  Remove the pan from the oven and let the granola sit for 5 minutes until it’s crispy, then break into small chunks.  Once cooled, place in an airtight container.

Kitchen Sink Vegetable Soup                                          Karma Chow
2 tbl. Olive oil                                                                        
4 carrots, peeled and chopped                      
1 medium red onion, finely chopped                                           
4 small red potatoes, diced                                           
3 celery, chopped small                                                 
Approximately 6-7 cups of any                                          
3 cloves garlic, chopped                                                   
combo of vegetables: zucchini,                                                                                        
broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower,                                                  
yellow squash, green beans,                          
bell peppers, yams, corn, etc.                                              
2 shallots (opt)    
1 15 oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes          
6 c. chicken broth or 2 32 oz. boxes 
2 tea. ground cumin  
salt, pepper, parsley, cilantro, oregano to taste     
Fresh herbs such as dill, thyme, marjoram, etc.                                                                                 
¾ c. barley or other grain (brown rice pasta noodles are good but add after veggies have been simmering for about 5- 10 minutes.  Simmer another 15 minutes or so with noodles)

            Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat and sauté the onion, garlic, shallots and celery until soft.  Add the tomatoes and cumin and let the mixture cook down for about 5 minutes.  Add remaining vegetables and broth, add enough liquid to cover the soup by about a ½ inch).  Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat.  Simmer until the potatoes and vegetables are tender, about 20- 30 minutes all together.  Season with salt, pepper, etc to taste.

Black Bean Vegetable Soup

1 tablespoon oil                                                         
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, chopped
1-2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2-3 cups vegetable broth                                                                                                                         
3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained or 2 black, 1 red kidney
1 (15 ounce) bag of whole kernel corn
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 red and green bell pepper (opt)                                                                                                                                   green chilies
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, peppers and carrots, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Add chili powder, cumin and other seasonings; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add stock, 1 can of the beans, corn, and pepper; bring to boil, then cover. 
Meanwhile, in food processor or blender, puree together tomatoes and remaining can of beans; add to pot. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.

Fresh Pesto, Tomato, and Zucchini Pasta                                P90X
1 pound brown rice fusilli pasta                                                                                             
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil                                                                                                 
3 cloves garlic, minced                                                        
4 Roma tomatoes                                            
1 red onion, diced                                                               
1 can (15 oz.) fire-roasted tomatoes               
1 c. chopped mushrooms                                                        
¼ c. pesto                                                 
2 zucchini, cut into quarters and diced
1 tea. oregano
1 tea. basil 

Cook the pasta according to the package directions.  In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the garlic and onion.  Cook until they’re translucent.  Add the mushrooms, zucchini, oregano, and basil and cook until slightly brown.  Add the Roma tomatoes and canned tomatoes and cover for about 5 minutes so that the tomatoes cook down.  Add the pesto and stir to mix.  Serve immediately over pasta.

Pesto
2 large bunches basil, stems removed (about 3 cups loosely packed leaves)                                         
¼ c. pine nuts                                                                                                                                               2 or 3 cloves garlic                                                                                                                                   juice of ½ lemon                                                                                                                                    
3 tbl olive oil                                                                                                                               
Himalayan salt and ground black pepper

In a food processor, combine the basil, pine nuts and garlic.  Blend until the ingredients begin to form a paste.  Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary.  Add the lemon juice and blend.  While the motor is running, drizzle in the oil and salt and pepper to taste.  Process until smooth and creamy.  Add additional oil if necessary.

Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce                                          Pinch of Yum
8 large cloves garlic, minced                                                        
2 tbl olive oil                                                                           
5-6 c. cauliflower florets (1 head)                                 
6-7 c. vegetable broth or water                                                                     
1-2 tea. salt                                                                                    
½ tea. pepper (to taste)                                                                              
½ c. vegetable broth                                                                        
1 ½ tea. oregano and 1 tea. basil

                Sauté the minced garlic with the butter in a large nonstick skillet over low heat.  Cook for several minutes or until the garlic is soft and fragrant but not browned.  Remove from heat and set aside.
                Steam or boil cauliflower about 10 minutes or until tender.  Transfer cauliflower to blender.  Add 1-2 c. veg broth, sautéed garlic, salt, pepper, and milk.  Blend or puree for several minutes until the sauce is very smooth , adding more broth or milk depending on how thick you want the sauce.  You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your blender.  Serve hot.
                Serve over noodles with chicken and broccoli (Healthy Fettuccine Alfredo) or use as pizza white sauce.  Can also be poured on top of rice as a creamy garlic rice.

Healthy Pizza                                                                        
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough from Fresh& Easy                      
½ cup cauliflower or healthy Alfredo sauce               
4 cups canned diced tomatoes (opt)                                    
Mozzarella or ricotta cheese (optional)                                         
Add toppings of choice:  olives, chicken and/or other veggies: bell peppers, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes. 
Other seasonings to go on top: basil, oregano, garlic, parsley and rosemary

Stir-Fried Veggies                                                         Ultimate Reset Guide
3 tsp. coconut or safflower oil                                                
2 tsp. toasted sesame oil                               
2 ½ carrots, cut in thin slices                                                          
1 cup + broccoli                                   
1 red bell pepper                                                                         
2 small zucchini, cut into half-moons         
1 ½ tsp Bragg Liquid Aminos                                                         
½ onion                                                
salt to taste

In large wok, heat oils over high heat.  Add carrot and onion and cook, stirring about 5 minutes.  Add broccoli and cook, stirring 3-5 minutes more.  Add remaining vegetables and garlic.  Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until vegetables are heated through and tender-crisp.  Turn off heat and add aminos.  Stir well.  Can add salt every time you add veggies or to taste.  Can also add pepper, oregano, basil and garlic powder to taste.  Serve with brown rice or quinoa.

Fish                                                                                          Billy Fenter
Take 2 tbsp olive oil...add 4-6 minced garlic cloves....mix it around...add to pan and sauté until u start seeing garlic brown...turn off heat, stir in 1/2 tsp cumin...stir it up...pad dry fish w/ paper towels...add water to broiler pan...put fish on broiler pan...baste w/ olive oil mixture (be sure the garlic chunks get on the fish)...then add a couple pinches of salt, pepper, oregano, basil...cook 5 min each side..

No comments:

Post a Comment